You gotta hand it to the Trumpster. He’s playing for all the marbles. We’re seeing an example of it here: it’s called “Flooding the Zone”. What’s his endgame? To strike at the former King (i.e. Obama).
As Frederick the Great said: “L’audace, l’audace, toujours l’audace.” Obama is about to learn a thing or two about audacity –as well as setting up a shadow government.
This is an exciting point in history. We’re actually witnessing a high-stakes poker game played on a three-dimensional chessboard. But this one’s a little different. Unlike most high-stakes games, in which one side wins big while the other side loses everything, in this one, if Trump wins, he wins it all; if he loses, he’s still the President. Get it? And he’s doing it by flooding the zone.
Let’s walk through this, shall we?
1. The Democrats didn’t expect Trump to win the election. To be fair, nobody did. (When Mitch McConnell held off on the appointment of Merrick Garland, he was hoping against hope that the Republicans would nominate someone other than Trump and possibly eke out a Bush 43 type victory.) When Trump did win, it was a kick in the balls of the worst sort.
The Democrats had everything going for them but just to make sure, Obama got the Justice Department to bug Trump and his associates. Sure, Trump was going to lose but nothing wrong with having some incriminating evidence on him in order to keep him on the straight and narrow when he went back to private life. The whole Birther thing really stung Obama. If, on the off-chance he did win, the electronic surveillance would still come in handy. That’s how Deep States work: control whoever’s in charge.
2. Instead, he won. WTF? At this point, the Deep State and their operatives in the Corporate Media (but I repeat myself) had to come up with an excuse. “Fake Media” was rolled out. When that didn’t work, the Russians were blamed. They “hacked” the election. For a good two months, they were flailing about, trying to come to grips with the defeat. It didn’t make sense, not on any level on which the elite operates.
In their minds, Red-state America reached its apogee in 2000, when Bush 43 eked out a two-point win in the Electoral College. From then on, the demographic changes that were happening would make sure that the most the Republicans could hope for was what Romney accomplished in 2012. And that was the best case scenario. If Hillary won, then Texas would become purple in 2020 and blue by 2024. It’d be over for the Republicans. Forever. It was in the cards.
Unfortunately for them, Trump scaled the fabled Blue Wall and took back the Rust Belt. That was a horror of unimaginable proportions. Things looked so tidy for the Democrats that back in October, when Trump was saying that the system was rigged, Obama had said that there was “no way” that the Russians (or anybody) could hack the election. Our system was “too decentralized” for something like that to happen. By and large, he’s right. Then after the election, James Clapper, the Director of National Intelligence testified before Congress and said that there was “no evidence” that Russian operatives could have “influenced the vote” one way or the other.
(Of course, it’s important to remember at this point that Clapper perjured himself before the Congress back in March of 2013 when he denied that the NSA spied on individual Americans, so let’s not forget that.)
3. Confusion reigned. Things were so bad for the Oligarchy that the Prog/left hive couldn’t coordinate their stories. The New York Times to their credit actually did some investigative journalism. They found out that the Obama Administration went twice before the FISA court to ask for permission to wiretap Trump. The first request was turned down –which itself is surprising as FISA almost never turns down government requests to eavesdrop on anybody. The government has a better than 98 percent success rate in getting FISA to authorize wiretaps.
Then Wikileaks happened. The Podesta emails rocked the political world and for some reason, Russia was blamed for them. So in October, right before the election, someone working for Obama went back to FISA and gussied up their request. They were led to believe that Trump was in collusion with the Russians, probably on some banking matter and the government needed evidence because whatever. This time, FISA gave them what they wanted.
4. There’s no doubt in my mind that Trump knew that he was being bugged. Not at all. But he had to find out by who and to what extent.
It was during this time however that the Democrats violated one of the cardinal rules of electoral politics: when you lose, do so gracefully and make every effort to come back to the table. In America especially, the party that was voted out usually comes roaring back in the mid-terms. Wait it out, in the meantime, you’ll get something if you act the part of the Loyal Opposition; certainly not everything, maybe not even half of what you want, most probably 20 or 30 percent, but you’ll get something. You can take the goodies home and remind the people why they voted for you in the first place.
Instead, they came out of the gates screaming and yelling and acting like they really won and that Trump had somehow stolen the election. They sent stooges like Rep John Lewis to go on TV and flat-out declare Trump to be illegitimate. In other words, they shot all their ammunition even before Trump was inaugurated. This was unwise in other ways as well. If nothing else, they unnecessarily made themselves an enemy in Trump. They forget another cardinal rule of politics: No President gets everything he wants but he does set the agenda. And he controls the Federal apparatus.
Trump played along. He continued to give them more rope to hang themselves. Plus, he wanted to find out where the leak was. Soon enough it became obvious. Hell, the Corporate Media even bragged about it. Trump allowed them to take a scalp, in this case that of his National Security Advisor, Lt Gen Michael Flynn. Once Flynn’s conversation was revealed and that a transcript of it existed, then Trump knew for a fact that the Trump Tower was bugged.
In the meantime, the incessant harping on Russia grew only more intense. Rather than fight it, Trump aggravated it. It’s been all Russia, all the time. Even though there’s no evidence of collusion between Trump and the Russians, especially because there was no evidence, it behooved Trump to play it up. Why? Because if a lie is all your adversaries have, then it exposes their weakness. Ergo, encourage them in their delusion.
5. So now we’re at Obamagate. The other day, Trump tweeted out startling accusations against the former President (who for some reason invited Valerie Jarrett to come and live with him and Michael –I mean Michelle–in their new house, just two miles from the White House. I’ll let you, the Gentle Reader figure that one out).
The accusations were nothing short of inflammatory. One simply doesn’t accuse a former President of a high crime or misdemeanor. It’s simply not done. It violates all sorts of protocols.
Think of it: if Trump’s accusation is true, it could result in a criminal case against Obama. This has clearly flummoxed the Democrats. You can tell by the hysterical denials, all of which are rather contradictory. Some of these denials are Nixonian “non-denial denials”. Others are Clintonian, relying on the careful parsing of words. None of them really make sense. Worse for them, they are easily proven. Why, it’s even in The New York Times, right there on the front page!
On the other hand, the original accusation by President Trump has not been retracted. It continues to linger in the air. Even #nevertrumpers like Lindsey Graham and Ben Sasse agree that they need to be investigated. If they are true, then they are serious. Over the weekend, the conventional wisdom was that Democrats were smelling blood in the water. Today, it’s the Republicans who are looking at electoral gold in 2018.
There’s more to this however, in that the actual accusation itself paralyzes Obama from furthering his covert agenda. In addition, it puts the Deep State on notice that Trump is aware that he’s being bugged and he’s working on ways to get around that. The spotlight is now glaringly focused on both Obama and the Deep State. If nothing else, it restricts their range of motion. Advantage: Trump.
6. So what’s the upshot? Well for one, the Democrats and the Corporate Media are now backtracking big-time on the whole Trump/Russia collusion thing. Why? Because they’re caught in the web of deceit that they wove to catch Trump with their wiretaps. The Russia Collusion angle was merely the excuse for Obama to go to FISA in the first place. It was the glue that held their conspiracy theory together. But because it wasn’t real in the first place, the entire Democrat narrative is coming apart at the seams. Worse for them, they and their Intel operatives are admitting as much: “There’s no real evidence” we’re now told. How convenient. The New York Times is even backtracking on their original claim that FISA had granted permission to bug Trump Tower. http://lidblog.com/same-ny-times-reporter/
(Imagine that, the same reporter who wrote back in January that Obama got authorization to wiretap Trump is now retracting his original story. How very Orwellian.)
Trump on the other hand is pushing long and hard for a Congressional investigation. Let it all come out is the new order of battle. Investigate the (non-existent) Russian connection by all means. Waste inordinate amounts of time. It’ll put that baby to rest in no time. And then the Democrats will look even more foolish and electorally impotent.
Flood the zone. Soon, “Russian hacking” will be a code word for election fraud and Watergate-level skullduggery, all of which will be laid at the feet of the Democrats. Good luck with that for the 2018 mid-terms. I imagine many progressive Democrats will want to investigate what happened to Bernie Sanders in the Democratic primaries as well. And of course investigate the electronic surveillance of Trump which Obama initiated. Let the chips fall where they may. In short, these things have a way of metastasizing.
In reality of course, the Democrats never really wanted an investigation of Trump, the election and any possible Russian collusion. It was merely a talking point to be used to delegitimize his presidency. Which leads us to:
7. The Democrats forgot another cardinal rule of politics: be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.